Well, I was right. It was exponentially harder . . . but to my surprise, getting my firstborn off to college actually has had a lot of similarities to when she started kindergarten. For example:
1. I have found that both times my overwhelming excitement for her has been tinged by a bit of bittersweet melancholy.
2. One of the reasons I felt so excited for her in both kindergarten and college was because I knew that she'd be meeting new people and making so many friends.
3. In both cases I also felt excited for her because I knew she would be learning so much! Not just academically--both kindergarten and college are such formative times for figuring out who one is away from their families.
4. Both instances made me realize how lucky I am to still have other children at home. It makes me remember to take the time to appreciate their childhoods a little more.
5. And, of course, I did cry both times . . .
|. . . but this time I wasn't alone.|
Post a Comment