My youngest son turned eight earlier this week, which I'm excited about. First of all, everyone knows eight is great. Second of all, I have a inexplicable hatred of odd numbers. We spent last year all being odd-numbered ages (shudder) so now that Z has had his birthday, that means we'll all be switching back to evens soon! Hooray!
Last year I wrote a Five on Friday list for him on his birthday with some of his more adorable quotes. It's a year later and the hits just keep on coming! He's still everyone's favorite helper though I have weaned myself off of telling him I'm going to eat his face all the time. (I still think it a lot though.)
Here are some super cute things about him lately:
1. He wanted to know when he'd get his signature. After a few confusing minutes of conversation I finally figured out that he thought he'd get a fancy signature assigned to him one day. We laughed about it and then agreed that being the guy to hand signatures out might be a fun job for him.
2. I got an email from his teacher last week letting me know that he's been extremely kind to the new boy in his class. I am not at all surprised.
3. His aunt gave him his VERY OWN PACKAGE of Slim-Jims as part of his birthday gift. He was psyched. While my other kids would have totally hoarded or shared the tiniest half-a-slim-jim-at-a-time portions . . . this guy has been sharing them with siblings left and right. He's got the biggest heart.
4. Yesterday he was helping our three-year-old neighbor put her shoes on. His voice, already little-boy squeaky, went up several pitches as he put her shoes on her feet and cooed, "Look at how tiny and cute your shoes are!"
5. When I tucked him in the night before his birthday, I pointed out that as my last son, this was the very last time I'd have a seven-year-old boy to kiss goodnight. He said cheerfully, "You could always adopt someone!"