High School ended on Monday which means summer has officially started for the teenagers in the house (much to the chagrin of the 2nd, 4th and 6th graders who still have another full week to go). I let them sleep in a little this week but they should know . . . that's not going to last.
I want them to have fun and enjoy themselves, of course, but I also have some guidelines. Teens, this summer I need you to:
1. Be Active: That means wake up before noon. I'm going to say by 10 most days is plenty. Get fresh air. Take a bike ride. Make discoveries. Make art.
2. Make Food: Sometimes when I get home from work you (darling son of mine) tell me that you're hungry. When I ask you what you've eaten all day, you say things like, "I had some pretzels."
Don't do that.
You pack your lunch every day for school so I know you know how to make it. You also could volunteer to make dinner some nights! I know, right?
3. Be Helpful: If I leave a note about jobs that need to be done, you always do them. Thank you. But now I triple dog dare them
to just look around and see what needs to be done and do it! Find some volunteer work to do in the community or just remember to look around for opportunities to help whenever
possible (Neighbor's garbage can need to be brought in? Is there trash in the park that could be picked up?)
4. Make Money . . . and Deposits: Son, I'm still keeping my eyes and ears open for a job for you but you need to look, too. I'm super proud of you for finding volunteer opportunities that interest you. Daughter, I know you'll be doing some volunteering at some point this summer even if you don't have anything concrete lined up yet. I'm happy you have work lined up but I just want you to remember that bank account you opened . . . I think it's getting lonely.
5. Be Social: You have friends and cousins, you have access to the car,
there are a lot of fun things to do around here. It's summer! You're young! Have fun! Just text me when you get there. And leave. And send a few pictures in between. But otherwise, just completely forget about me and have fun!